Thursday, December 15, 2011

The beginning.

Life is a strange, unexpected journey sometimes. I was admitted to the hospital on December 1st, 2011, after having some concerning symptoms and they determined my blood pressure was very high. After a few days and many tests I was diagnosed with preeclampsia. The blood pressure medication worked for awhile, and the doctors kept telling us that generally babies have to be delivered 7-12 days after a preeclampsia diagnosis, but it felt like a dream. On December 10th after test results indicating the preeclampsia was progressing to HELLP syndrome it became clear that this was reality and December 10th was going to be THE day. Her birthday. Monroe Lucy Marie arrived at 1:53pm and weighed 1 pound, 11 ounces. This is the place I'll tell you all about her so you can get to know her. We already love her. I'm pretty sure you will too. This is the beginning of one of the hardest parts of our lives. And the absolute best part too.

The excited grandparents waiting to meet their first grandchild. And waiting to find out her name. The waiting on her name was harder for some than others.
015

Jill meeting Monroe for the first time.
107

Me meeting Monroe after the c section.
140

Tiny feet!
153

Holding her when she is 1 day old.
193

She already loves her pacifier, but she can only suck it for a few seconds or she forgets to breathe too. Her ventilator was removed her first night, but she still has a CPAP machine to help remind her to breathe in case she forgets. And the CPAP machine makes her mad sometimes and she cries, but the pacifier really helps her calm down.
002

Jill holding her at 2 days old. They both fell asleep. I guess it's good she gets used to Jill's snoring early.
015

I will update as often as I can. Monroe is doing very well. She's breathing room air and her lungs are really doing a great job. The steroid shots they gave me in the hospital seem to have done the trick. Now we have a couple of weeks at least on the CPAP machine and LOTS of washing our hands since it's cold and flu season. Infections and intestine development are our next things to focus on. She has been called feisty be almost every nurse that has taken care of her. We are so thankful she has the strength and energy to be feisty.

8 comments:

  1. Awwww, feisty! I love it!! Hugs to my 3 girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course she's Feisty - she has two amazing women taking care of her and showing her the way!! I'm so very glad you get to see her and hold her so much; take care of all three of you and know we're sending lots of love your way!!!!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures in motherhood.... you have such a beautiful family. I'm thinking of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you guys have decided to make posts via blog, a great way to share info without having to repeat it 100x! Here with support, every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm SO excited to see this!!! She will do awesome and we can't wait to meet her!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, she's beautiful and such a lucky gal having two great mommas! I can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. What a miracle. I'm immeasurable moved and proud. Not only has technology helped make this little life happen, but it has also given all of us the chance to watch and participate as Monroe grows feister every day. We love you ALL. Your extra grandma Judy(Gammy) and grandpa Bill (Poppi)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a precious baby girl, congratulations to you both. I can't wait to meet her...I guess I will have to get in line to babysit. :-) Much love and positive energy sent your way! Donna

    ReplyDelete